7:54 PM

Thanksgiving..

Posted by L. |

I was 13 years old, my parents frustrated with our inability to sit still in class... After many therapist visits, hour long conversations, and countless meetings with our teachers, they decided to find us a better school... So there I was... beginning high school away from the familiar... but we all know how I thrive in those kind of environments, the kind where I get to reinvent myself.. so it didn't take long for me to make a few friends (and a bunch of enemies)... and then, somehow, one day I was part of this group... a group of people that not only loved my crazy, but complemented it... this people became my lifeline, my escape... With them I've experienced everything, from school night partying until 4am, to getting the highest test scores, from drunken weekends, to all of them being the most successful, happy people I know, from breakups, cross-country moves, college, tears, kids, holidays, secrets, boyfriends, fights, the best road trips, tons of wine, and everything in between..When Frances told me last year that she was getting married, to Joel, whom she has been dating (on and off, I should said) since we were in High school, I was sooooo happy.. and then a few months later, she calls to tell me that she is pregnant... and then, a month later, that Chachi is pregnant... and that I would not be a maid of honor because she knows I don't really like those things?? OMG, I HAD to fly home...and Fari got me a KILLER dress...and we had been drinking since Friday
It was the BEST Thanksgiving weekend of my life...

...here we are again... 14 years later
some new people that feel like they've been here all along, Lori's girls, trips, the boys, their girlfriends (whom I absolutely ADORE), a few marriages, Hollywood, Law school, oil spills and frequent flier miles between us... but it still feels like we are 13...
So when I think about what I'm grateful in life... besides my family, all the incredible experiences I have been blessed with, my friends here, who have also made me a part of their lives, and my choices, good or bad, but mine... I think of these guys first.. because they have made me who I am.. because every moment we spend together feels like warm summer nights in San Juan, of beach days, of dinners, of happiness, of drunken afternoons, of that special bond of growing up in the same place that we will share forever...

0 comments: